Loading...

“Sailing” Difficulties

Disclaimer: What I’m about to write is all based on personal opinions and perceptions. It may not be necessarily true and it may offend some of you. The good news is you’re free to leave a comment(s) if you agree/disagree with what’s said. But I don’t think there’ll be any feedbacks because my readers are not used to communicating with me.

I have a lot in mind to brag about right now but definitely am not in the perfect mood, plus I have no idea how to get it started.

However, one thing’s for sure and obvious – I don’t update my blog that often as compared to the previous month where I went on a blogging berserk. The urge of blogging just died down for me. Besides that, I have something of utmost importance in hand and in mind to catch up with, to get busy with, and to kill time with. So I suppose that accounts to all the slack-blogging.

Forgiveness shall be given to me I guess, but is that a necessity? Don’t think so. I have the blog-whatever-and-whenever-I-want badge, so you got it whenever I update. No bugging!

***

The problem with friendships nowadays is that it wouldn’t last as long as those forged during ancient times. Back then, once a friend, always a friend, even though it’s an LDF a.k.a Long Distant Friendship, which means you don’t often meet your friend. You’ll definitely agree with me if you start reversing the time machine and go back into the past right now. Of course, there might be exclusive cases in which are not of my best concern right now.

Think. How close are you now with all your best friends in pre-school, primary school, or even secondary school? You might already have lost contact with them and have not seen them in ages. Which is quite a common thing because people go separate ways eventually as they graduate and don’t intend to meet up again. Even if you stumbled on them in supermarkets or in shopping centers, there’s a great possibility that you wouldn’t recognize them.

Even if you do recognize them, a little avoidance – hiding behind pillars and covering of face with an upside-down gossip magazine would do just fine. You think it’s bad? I see people doing that often. Firstly, he/she might pop all the bubbles in your face by not being able to recognize you. Secondly, there’s nothing to talk about in that supremely awkward situation aside from all the Ws and H questions you could think of because the fact is, both of you aren’t as close as you once were.

However, you could strike secondary school out because based on my experience, high school’s where you find your Paradise of True Friendships. There’s where you find a friend(s) who you could trust, share your deepest and darkest secrets with, and hang out comfortably with although you’ve not seen them for quite some time. At least it works for me that way. People begin to mature at this stage of life, the adolescent stage. Your personality, behavior or whatsoever begin to surface and people judge you by first impressions. What about college?

Unfortunately, nothing beats friendships forged in college. Not that college friends are more awesome than high school friends, no. And not that all college friends are not awesome, I meant some. Because of past experiences, people begin to understand the importance of first impressions. Everyday, before they step into the grounds of college, they put on a decent mask as if they were about to attend a masquerade or act in a soap opera. So much of that just to gain a large network of friends. It’s not surprising that friendships last the shortest in college. You may have someone as your best buddy this semester, but only to find out that someone is ignoring your every HIs and BYEs after only a month of miscommunication. Why are true friendships hard to come by?

***

Yesterday, I went out with a buddy from high school whom I’ve not seen in a year. It was an awesome outing because we had so much catching up to do. We chatted time away. An outing would be considered incomplete without hitting the cinemas, so we decided to catch a movie.  

I should be buying tickets for Transformers 2 already but since he’d watched it, we queued up for ‘State of Play’ instead and not ‘Ice Age 3’, ‘Drag me to Hell’ or whatsoever because I heard it’s a good movie and indeed it was. The intro was a tad too slow and boring I must say but as the story builds up, it makes the intro looks good because everything is interrelated and I find that very cool. But I still think it’s a risky act to bore your audience first before giving them the adrenaline rush. If it’s a must to have a self-explanatory intro, I suggest, do it like what Gavin Hood did in X-men origins.

Anyway, there we were queuing up before the counter when I stumbled upon this primary school friend of mine who was about to swift past my shoulders as he zig-zagged his way to the end of the short queue. Although I’ve lost communication with him for years, I somewhat called out for his name. Eventually, both of us reached out for each other’s hand naturally for a handshake and said our heys but his face had that blank or was it a shocked and blank look? All that happened in a split second.

You might have already noticed the contradiction made here but this one’s a different story. Because this old friend of mine is actually a friend of one of my closest friends as well and I see his pictures every now and then in her blog. So I felt like I’m still close to him even though I obviously am not anymore. Which explains why I didn’t do that little Indian dance/hide-and-seek around some coconut trees with him. I’m glad I made that move because it gave me a good laugh when he showed me that “what just happened/Hey but who are you” kinda expression.

After the movies, we had batting in mind and so we paid the Batting Cage a visit at Upper Roof. Sadly, it was drizzling and the cage was undergoing some form of construction. Bah … We crave batting! Maybe we should pay En. Zol a visit one day and ask for a fair game of softball instead. I would definitely be the pitcher again. *Missing those proud moments*

Till we meet again. =)

- Sean.

0 comments:

top