Loading...

First Experience

Blogging to the song of “So Close” by Jon McLaughlin is very refreshing although I’m going to be blogging about my tiresome days of working at Robinsons in The Gardens.

Malaysian timing is not something one should be proud of, but Malaysians seem to be practicing it everyday. Meetings postponed due to latecomers, briefings had to be pushed to an hour later because the client had something else to get busy with, even marriages got delayed because the bride and groom got caught in a heavy traffic in the middle of a bustling city! Punctuality has a certain meaning to it that we must not take for granted.

It was a cloudless Saturday when I was all dressed up for my first part time job. I admit there was a slight sense of anxiousness tingling in me. Arriving there extremely early, which was 45 minutes before my work starts, I alighted the car and walked towards the entrance. The timing was perfect because as I approached the huge transparent glass doors, the security guard was just unlocking the thick iron chains that shut it tight.

I wasn’t sure where I was supposed to head to but all I knew was to find someone with the name Ms. Shamini. I started asking around after walking up and down the escalator several times. My first attempt of questioning brought me to the entrance of Robinsons at the 2nd floor and to the security guard who was standing guard right over at the railings. After having not to speak Malay often, I found myself forming words and sentences with much difficulty as I asked for directions.

Finally, I found the staff entrance, which was situated right beside the male’s lavatory. Coolness! After surrendering my belongings, I went into that huge elevator and brought myself to Ground floor, then into Ms. Shamini’s room. I was not surprised at all when I was notified that I arrived first, because indeed I was! Paid a loan of Rm30, I received an M-sized Robinsons-tee, a Promoter badge, and a punch card.

When all part-timers arrived, we were given a short briefing about the rules and regulations and of course, penalties if the rules were to be crossed. Of all departments, I was assigned to the Ladies. Greatness, it would be a wonderfully new experience I thought. I was introduced to this guy whose name was Ruben rather than the supervisor himself because he was on leave that day.

I was put to station at Coast that morning, which was right in front of the Cashier counter. After Ruben gave me some explanations about the sizes, I started walking back and forth, scrutinizing those extraordinarily pretty and expensive dresses, which I have never given a glance whenever I go shopping with my family or friends. The first hour passed with only a handful of customers who came and went without a question. Boredom Bugs started to get into my nerves in no time.

There was nothing for me to do except to stand there and be prepared to assist any customers who had questions or enquiries. It was a boring times 100 job. My legs started to feel achy after merely 2 hours had passed. 7 more hours to go and I was filled with guilt for taking up this job without knowing the consequences beforehand. The only thing that was keeping me going was the break time at 3.

Out of desperation, I took out my phone and sms-ed my friends in a hope for them to pay me a visit and to keep me company. None of them turn up. On top of that, there was no one to talk to because that small section was kept under me and my only surveillance. Poor me and pity me wished and prayed hard for time to pass by faster than before. That moment was gruesome and it’s dreadful to think of it now. I wonder how could one survive being a full-time promoter.

Your legs ache because of the standing, your neck gets stiff for God knows why, your tummy drumming away because of the late lunch hour, you get bored because you are not supposed to clump together for some chit-chat sessions, and you get scowled at and unnecessary grumblings from fussy customers. Being a promoter wouldn’t make me any happier unless I get commission from the purchases my customers make. And that’s the best part of this job I get, I don’t get commission.

So basically, there' wasn’t any motivation for me to keep my ass working except for that RM10 I get for every hour I stand. What a boring job that I wouldn’t think twice to get back to even if that were to be the last vocation on earth. Of course, I did learn something new over there. I learnt that when put under pressure, people tend to rant about everything even though it’s to someone they don’t really know. =)

It’s 3 in the afternoon and I was allowed to go for my break! That feeling of freedom was overwhelming I must say because I could finally have a seat and satisfy my empty tummy. I savor every bite of chicken rice and every second I got to rest my legs before I had to struggle through another 5 hours of standing. I could already feel my knees breaking apart and my cartilages and ligaments wearing off as the synovial fluid dry up gradually.

Going back to work, I was kept refreshed for the first 2 hours because of the food and that 1 hour of rest. After which, I found myself dragging my feet along that nicely tiled floor and finding stuff to keep myself busy. Then, there’s this friendly sales advisor who talked to me for a moment and kept me company while he arranged the clothes hanging on the metal bars. He was so eager to go back home as he continuously asked me for the time. At one point, he was like, “Kenapa jam you begitu lambat? Saya balik sekarang lah!” then he walked off after bidding his goodbyes.

A long Saturday it was. I had a good sleep that night as there wasn’t any energy left in my body for a simple slight motion. What an experience!

0 comments:

top